Feeding Grounds: •••
Regent: Gustav Dorn
Haidhausen is also referred to as the “French Quarter”, since most streets are named after French cities, and the streets and places are arranged in a pattern oftentimes found in France. It is a mixed residential and industrial district for trade workers and day labourers, situated across from the city center on the east bank of the River Isar and extends to the east railway station.
Krankenhaus rechts der Isar
The Rechts der Isar Hospital (translation: Right-hand side of the River Isar) was founded in 1834, with only 36 beds, as the Haidhauser Armen- und Krankenanstalt (Haidhausen Institution for the Poor and Sick) in a former coffee house, and was later run by Catholic nuns, the “Daughters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul”. When Haidhausen was incorporated to the City of Munich, it was renamed “Krankenhaus rechts der Isar”.
The palatial Maximilianeum building was built as the home of a foundation for gifted students. It is situated at the end of Maximilianstrasse on the border of Haidhausen, overlooking the Isar River.