Maxvorstadt is Munich’s arts and university district, just north of the historic city center. It is also often called the “Brain of Munich”, due to its extraordinary high number of artistic and educational institutions. The district was one of the first extensions when the city of Munich grew beyond its old city fortifications, and has been the domain of Heinrich Ehrler since that time.
Located within the area are several universities, museums and art galleries, comparable in Germany only to Berlin’s Museumsinsel, as well as plenty of bars, cafes and restaurants which cater to students, artists, intellectuals and radicals alike, providing some the most interesting feeding grounds in the city.
Several well-known mortals live, or have at some point lived, in the district, e.g. Franz Marc, Bertolt Brecht, Adolf Hitler, Wassily Kandinsky, Thomas Mann, Wolfgang Pauli, and Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov (Lenin).
The Maxvorstadt area is roughly bounded by the English Garden to the east, Georgenstrasse to the north, Lothstrasse to the west, and the main railtracks and Altstadtring to the south.
The Königsplatz is a wide open square, built in the neoclassicist style of the 19th century. Planned as the “Athens on the Isar”, it is framed on three sides by the Doric Propylaea (pictured below), the Ionic Glyphothek, and the Corinthian Antikensammlung.
A museum for the Bavarian state’s antique collections of Greek, Etruscan and Roman art
Commissioned by the Bavarian King Ludwig I to house his collection of Greek and Roman sculptures, the museum itself is built completely out of marble.
Other Places of Interest
Among the oldest art galleries in the world, the Alte Pinakothek houses one of the most famous collections of Old Master paintings. The name Alte (Old) Pinakothek refers to the time period covered by the collection, from the fourteenth to the eighteenth century.
An art museum focusing on European art of the 18th and 19th centuries.
The leading artist’s meeting place in the city, Café Stefanie is one of the few establishments in Munich which stays open till 3:00 in the morning. It is located on the corner of Amalienstrasse and Theresienstrasse.
The offices for the evening newspaper where Jorn Eckhardt works as a reporter. It is owned by his sire, Friedrich Lohmann, a media baron and the Herald for the Kindred of Munich.
The Glaspalast (Glass Palace) is a glass and iron exhibition building in Munich modeled after The Crystal Palace in London. It hosts many large art exhibitions and international trade fairs.
The headquarters and main winter venue for Circus Krone, one of the largest circus in Europe. The building, constructed in 1919, is the first permanent building for circus performances in Germany.
Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (also referred to as LMU or the University of Munich) is among Germany’s oldest universities. Originally established in Ingolstadt in 1472 it was moved in 1800 to Landshut when Ingolstadt was threatened by the French, before being relocated again to its present-day location in Munich in 1826. The library, across the street, contains many rare and priceless volumes.